Go To Home Page About Retro Gran Topics I Write About Other Places You Can Find Me Image Map

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Weekend of cakes

I love cake, in any form or flavor.  In fact, I love sweets in general.  They are my downfall, or more precisely, my source of weight gain.  I just have no will power when it comes to dessert, so any excuse I have for making a cake I will take it.  

This past weekend was son number two's birthday - he is the second of six children, five of which are boys.  (Now, don't you feel sorry for me?  Actually, you should feel sorry for the one and only girl born smack dab in the middle of all those brothers.)  This particular birthday was a special one because said son turned thirty.  

I know, I'm amazed that I have a child that old and what's more amazing is that he has an older brother!  To ease the pain I was feeling of thinking about that fact, I made myself a cake.  

Gooey Butterfinger cake

It was a nice, gooey, messy cake with crushed up butterfingers sprinkled on top.  Boy, oh boy, was it ever yummy.  I just had to eat this cake all gone, lest son number 2 thought it was his birthday cake and that we had already cut into it.  See the dilemma? The cake must be eaten, um-hmm, not a problem.

So, birthday day arrives and said son needs a cake of his very own.  Lets forego the standard birthday cake and go for something different, just because I kept eyeing that bag of oreo cookies in the kitchen pantry.

Chocolate Oreo cake

Yum, a nice chocolate cake covered with oreo goodness.  Needless to say, two cakes in one weekend, I have got to get some self control.  Looks like its celery and carrot sticks for a while.

4 comments:

  1. You're not alone, those scrumptious looking cakes are melting my will power as we speak. Yikes, you may have me baking a cake before the day is out! :)

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have already been planning my next cake. lol

      Delete
  2. I'm a cake-aholic. I love going to weddings for just that reason and am thoroughly distracted by it during the whole reception. Its evil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too and I'm a firm believer that the wedding cake is not only pretty but must taste great. I would take taste over looks any day. I will be making wedding cupcakes for a friends wedding in a few weeks and the recipe I will be using is a fabulous white almond cake recipe. I will have to do a post on it.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, suggestions, and opinions. Please leave me a comment. I read every single one, even on older posts.

**Due to the amount of spam comments that I have been getting lately, I will no longer be accepting comments from Anonymous users. Sorry for the inconvenience but hopefully you understand.**