Go To Home Page About Retro Gran Topics I Write About Other Places You Can Find Me Image Map

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Wax On, Wax Off

Today I wanted to talk a little bit about makeup removal.  A while ago I did a product review on Revlon Colorstay foundation which you can find here.  I had issues with this foundation, mainly because I have dry skin, extremely dry skin, and this foundation made my face feel even dryer.  The foundation would probably work great for those of you with oily skin or those wanting a heavier, full coverage, but for my skin and the coverage I was looking for, it just didn't work so well.

One of it's main selling points though, was the fact that it had staying power, and that it does.  You could put this stuff on in the morning and it would still be there that night.  And let me tell you, it is a bear to remove.  But, I have the perfect cleansing product for just such a task.  I have been using Albolene Moisturizing Cleanser for a couple of years now and I love it.

Albolene Moisturizing Cleanser

Albolene has been around for ages - I bet your grandma used it, and it's marketed as a moisturizing cleanser that is extremely effective at removing makeup. The product website states that this formula “is clinically proven by the Skin Study Center to moisturize better than leading brands in its category”. It's list of ingredients are few - mineral oil, petrolatum paraffin, ceresin and beta-carotene, all moisturizing agents and makes Albolene safe and effective to use every day. In fact, according to the manufacturer’s claims, the product works so well, many in the theater industry are said to use it nightly to remove stubborn stage makeup safely and thoroughly.

My experience with this product has been this:  I purchase the unscented 12 ounce container which costs typically around $10 - $13 at my local CVS store.  I use it almost daily, sometimes I'm just a lazy butt who doesn't wash her face, and the container will last me approximately a year.  So, I think that is a great buy!  

When you first open the container, it's consistency reminds you of crisco or maybe coconut oil but it liquifies on contact with your skin and turns into an almost baby oil like consistency.  Since I buy the unscented version, it doesn't really have an odor.  If I had to say what it smelled like, I would compare it to a vaseline smell.

I find that it gently and thoroughly dissolves makeup, dirt, mascara, even waterproof mascara, and lipstick. I smooth it on and then use cotton balls to remove it, although some might prefer removing with a warm, damp wash cloth.  For me, it leaves no soap-and-water dryness plus leaves my skin feeling soft and moisturized.  It is gentle enough to use on my sensitive, aging eye area.

Let me remind you, I have extremely dry skin, so if you have oily skin, I would recommend washing your face after using Albolene or it could leave your skin feeling a little greasy.  (Please note:  The company does not recommend this product for oily skin.)  That greasiness doesn't really bother me because I typically use this product at night before bed and I find that overnight the moisturizers do their job and I wake with soft, supple skin.  I have, however, used it in the mornings and typically wash my face afterwards to make sure all of the excess product is off before I apply my foundation.  

Keep in mind that this is a cleanser, albeit with the added benefit of moisturizing, but I feel it's important to note that Albolene doesn't have a SPF.  I would still recommend using a daily moisturizer containing SPF or a foundation that contains a SPF.

You can also use Albolene on other areas of your body to help with dryness, such as your elbows, knees, and feet.  I find that it does wonders for my cuticles.  Their website gives several other uses for the product that you may find interesting, two of which intrigued me.  

First, they say to Intensify Cleavage: Rub Albolene along the tops of your breasts and collarbones. Dust with highlighter for a twinkling effect when wearing a strapless top or dress.  -  Yeah, I'm gonna try this!

Second, they say for those who need to lose the last five pounds, or to help motivate those who want to lose the first five, Albolene Makeup Remover, applied to the skin before a workout, can help increase perspiration to help minimize trouble spots, especially if you also cover the area with a sweat producing material such as a neoprene belt or shorts.  -  In fact, the company has a challenge and yep, gonna give this a try too!  They say this has been a secret in the boxing industry for decades.

Well, there you have it, my thoughts on this product, for whatever that's worth.  I say, if you have dry skin, it's well worth the price, so give it a try and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, suggestions, and opinions. Please leave me a comment. I read every single one, even on older posts.

**Due to the amount of spam comments that I have been getting lately, I will no longer be accepting comments from Anonymous users. Sorry for the inconvenience but hopefully you understand.**